Teaching ‘Giving and Asking for Direction’ (Classroom Activity and Powerpoint Presentation)

By Irfan Nugroho
As my eight grade students have learned about the ‘preposition of place,’ teaching about ‘giving and asking for direction’ gets one step easier. This time, I provide the subject of learning in the forms of listening and speaking competences.

Here is the procedures I have used to teach ‘giving and asking for direction’ to the eight grade students of mine.

A.    Aims
Students are able to:
-    Understand how to ask for direction in English
-    Understand how to give direction in English
-    Make note by listening to a conversation on ‘giving and asking for direction’
-    Ask for direction in English
-    Give direction in English

B.    Activities
-    Powerpoint presentation on ‘giving and asking for direction’
-    Role play
-    Writing specific information gained by listening to conversations performed by students

C.    Procedures (90 minutes)
-    Warming up
I started the lesson by telling my personal experience of how I could get to the school where I am working now.

“The first time I came here, I didn’t even know where SMPN I Karangdowo is. Then, I met with a pedicab peddler in Surakarta, then asked him, ‘Where is SMPN I Karangdowo?’”

Stopping at that question, I asked the students, “What will the man answer?” Using the name of street, students will answer, “SMPN I Karangdowo is on Solo-Karangdowo Street.”

Then, I asked them more, “Do you think that I can reach SMPN I Karangdowo only by knowing the name of the street? So what will I ask later?”

Some students got confused while some other understood what to ask: that is about asking for direction. So, I began the powerpoint presentation as included herein. (You may download it free, indeed).

-    Explanation – Presentation Stage
The powerpoint presentation begins with an flashback explanation on Preposition of Place. I did include the explanation on when to use “in/on/at” and four more preposition of place that may be used to explain a direction.

The next slide displays three sentences asking for certain addresses with red-lighted words can be replaced with other destinations. I did as such to help students recognising a new language system of asking for address in foreign language, in this case English.

Next, the powerpoint asks, “How if someone asks you more...?” This is a situation as what I have experienced and told in the warming up stage. Then I provides four varieties of question on asking for direction.

The last page slide displays a set of sentence patterns on giving direction. I wrote them in boxes functioning as template and helping the students recognising that new language systems. The boxes lighted in yellow are the destinations that can be replace with destinations the students would ask in the next stages; that is, practice and production stages.

-    Practice Stage
Now, the students have been introduced with some new language patterns as shown by the powerpoint presentation. Then, I tried to ask four students, “What is your address?” and “Can you tell me how to get there?”

Keep the last page powerpoint on the screen, let the students look at the slide and use that template to answer my questions. Do the same for three students until they have 50% understand.

-    Production Stage
Then, I got two students to perform a role play. They were boy and girl students.

The context of situation was that I was falling in love to the girl but I was not brave enough to ask her address. So, I get the boy to ask for the girl’s address and how to get there.

After that, the boy should report it to me and the other students must make note on how to get to the girl’s home. After performing the simulated conversation, the boy student may go back to his seat while appoint another boy to perform the conversation. The same procedure also implies for the girl students.

Make this simulated conversation for about ten couples. At the end of the class, students have to submit their notes for evaluation on their listening skills.



1 comment: